Cogwheel Archive

Rotary Cogwheel | 01.07.2016

January 6, 2016

Today: Author Terry Kerber (Child)

Birthdays: Kathy Jasnoch and Ingrid Anderson Sampo (1/2), Fred Rogers (1/4), Ron Linde (1/5), Curtis Tiano (1/6) and Teresa Tillson and Elvis (1/8)

 Next Week: Todd Bornhauser, Northfield Area Chamber of Commerce (Madigan)

Last Week:

Linda Hibbard, executive director of EPIC Enterprise of Dundas, says we all want to be included and feel like we are part of the broader community. That is what the Dundas nonprofit attempts to do for Rice County adults with developmental disabilities. It provides employment and life enrichment support to those who often have significant employment barriers.

Hibbard started at EPIC 30 years ago as a music therapist. She has served as executive director for the past 18 years. She says EPIC’s mission can be captured in three words: opportunity, relationships and community.

EPIC work begins by looking at each client’s capacities and strengths. Instead of attempting to “fix” their clients, she said, they find what works for them and places them in environments where they can succeed. Employment settings range from
child care at The Y and food prep at a local pizza restaurant to custodial work at the senior center or work on a local farm.

Linda said transportation is critical to the success of the program. They have a fleet of 24 vans and are raising money now for a new bus. They have a grant from the Minnesota Department of Transportation for 80 percent of the cost. They need to raise the other 20 percent locally. Linda invites contributions if people are so moved.

“We all benefit when we contribute to the lives of others,” Linda said.

Epic serves some 115 clients, teens to seniors. Their funding comes primarily from Medicaid, which is a combination of state and federal dollars.


Mini Classification:

Virginia Kaczmarek was born and raised in St. Cloud, Minn., the oldest of four. She spent time in the U.S. Marines before becoming the first in her family to attend college. She graduated from St. Cloud State University with a degree in Economics and went on to get her masters degree, also in Economics, from the University of Kansas. She did all of this as a single mother of two.

Virginia joined the Y of the Twin Cities in 1999 and accepted the position in Northfield in 2007. She said she loves this community, the river, the colleges and the spirited civic engagement. She grudgingly turned 50 and is learning to cope with the march of time.


Guests: Tim Gilblom (Maus), Chad Hjelming (Gett), Caitlin Elliot (V. Dilley) and Ghard Bettcher (Yogi)

Scholarship Enhancement:  Rob Martin

Announcements:

Northfield Y invites Rotarians to stretch their giving for its current capital campaign. A matching grant would turn a $15,000 donation from the club ($5,000) and its members ($10,000) into a $25,000 contribution to the campaign. The Y is trying to raise $1 million to pay down outstanding debt. The deadline is January 8. If you have pledged in the past, you can contact the Y office to extend your pledge for this campaign.

New member orientation will be held some time in January. Michelle Lasswell, vice president, said a specific date will be announced soon.

Nominations for the 2015 Good Neighbor Award are due tomorrow. See Erica Zweifel if you have a nomination.

Vicki Dilley reported that all 11 of our outbound exchange candidates are receiving invitations. Their country assignments will be announced soon.

Richard Maus shared that the Taliban has agreed to help with polio vaccinations in Afghanistan, a significant development. There were only 66 cases identified worldwide in the past year. Complete eradication is within reach.

Boxes for recycling cell phone are now available at our meetings. The phones are being collected by the Minnesota Zoo and used to fund its Recycle the Rain Forest project.

Here is a list of this year’s outbound students. Some have already departed.

  • Beimers, Henry – Norway
  • Beimers, William – Brazil
  • Carlson, Samuel -Argentina
  • Estrada, Gabriella – France
  • Hahn, Erin – Thailand
  • Hodel, Christoph – Indonesia
  • Kelley, Caitlin – Chile
  • Lunderby, Jack – Brazil
  • Mandsager, Erik – Zimbabwe
  • Muir, Mason – Taiwan
  • Olson, Josiah – Colombia
  • Regnier, Eli – Brazil
  • Rodriguez-Vazquez, Leslie – Brazil
  • Scheffert, Jenna – Italy
  • Seitz, Zoe – Denmark
  • Washburn Chapman, Ahna Cole – South Africa
  • Woitalla, Jessica – Brazil.


Past Northfield Rotary Club meeting videos on YouTube

Coming Up

January 21 — Katie Hargis, Classification, (Joe Hargis)

January 28 — Jo Ann Sabin, Pollinator Friendly Alliance, (Kallestad)

Recent Cogwheels

Rotary Cogwheel | December 7.2017
December 6, 2017
Rotary Cogwheel | 11.30.2017
November 29, 2017
Rotary Cogwheel | 11.16.2017
November 14, 2017
Rotary Cogwheel | 11.9.2017
November 7, 2017
Rotary Cogwheel | 11.2.2017
November 1, 2017

See archive »