Our Inbound Exchange Students sure make a good first impression. Introduced by their Rotary Counselors, we learned a little something about each one of them:
- Rachael Dawson (Pokorney) from India is the baby of her family. She has two older siblings — a brother and sister. Her father is an architect and her mother is a homemaker. She finds Americans to be warm and welcoming and looks forward to making many new friends during her stay in Northfield.
- Hsin-Yuan (Cindy) Wang (Abdella) comes to us from Taitung City on the southeast coast of Taiwan. She lives at home with her parents (her father works in construction) and her younger brother. She is enjoying getting to know her host family and all that Northfield has to offer.
- Adnan Mansjur (Quinnell) from Indonesia plays the drums and has joined the Northfield High School Band. He also is interested in anything automobiles, with a particular fondness for muscle cars and racing. In fact, he races cars in Indonesia. Adnan has two older sisters and a younger brother. His father is a dentist and his mother is a homemaker.
- Carolina Riofrio (Holden) from Quito, Ecuador enjoys playing soccer and rooting for her new favorite football team – the Green Bay Packers. Her older brother, Pedro, was a Rotary Exchange Student in Austin, Minn. She also has older sister and a younger sister.
- Diatou Gueye (O’Neill) from France is interested in environmentalism and is an accomplished pianist, among many other talents. Her mother and father are both nurses, and she has two older sisters. She’s looking forward to experiencing a Minnesota winter, and has discovered that hot dogs are her least favorite American food.
- Mizuki Oeda (Frago) from Osaki-shi, Miyagi, Japan has a particular fondness for all things “Hello Kitty.” She has been a standout runner this fall for the Northfield High School cross country team. She lives at home with her parents and younger brother and sister.
Last Week’s Guests:
Theresa Duchene (Quinnell), Megan Durkin (Fenton), Mike Mitchell (Estenson), Leo Fanton (Fenton), Bill Nelson , Melissa Berthelsen (B. Carlson)
Scholarship enhancement: Rob Martin
Chris Weber encouraged members to give blood at the Community Resource Bank’s Blood Drive on Friday, October 26, from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Heritage Drive location.
We still need folks to interview prospective outbound exchange students Monday, October 29, 7 – 9 p.m. Contact Judy Brown-Wescott if you are interested.
Robert Bierman announced that last year’s sponsors for the Turkey Trot are warmly invited to be sponsors again this year. There’s plenty of room for new sponsors, too, so please see Rob to sign on. On-line registration for the event will be available soon.
Three new members were formally inducted into the Club: Chris Heineman (Rich), Ronelle Deschamp (Pritchard on behalf of Madigan), Mary Schmelzer (Dilley).